I heard a couple of songs recently — oldies AND goodies — and during each I found myself waiting for THE lyric that epitomized the song (in my mind at least).
I thought I’d list them. And other favorites of mine. Just because.
Herewith, in no particular order:
- “You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.” (Hotel California, The Eagles)
- “I’ve seen a million faces, and I’ve rocked them all!” (Wanted, Dead or Alive, Bon Jovi)
- “The Sharif don’t like it, he thinks it’s not kosher” (Rock the Casbah, The Clash)
- “Ronnie’s got a new gun” (Wild Wild West, Escape Club) – This is their way cool video. Here are the lyrics.
- “To be a rock and not to roll” (Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
- “Some stupid with a flare gun burned the place to the ground” (Smoke on the Water, Deep Purple)
- “But I’m a million different people from one day to the next” (Bittersweet Symphony, The Verve) The 3-D graphics on this video are cool.
- “I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine!” (One Night in Bangkok, Murray Head)
- “Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king, And a king ain’t satisfied till he rules everything” (Badlands, Bruce Springsteen)
- “I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, we climbed aboard their starship, we headed for the skies” (Come Sail Away, Styx)
- “Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel a deep burning pain in my side.” (El Paso, Marty Robbins)
- “In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade” (The Boxer, Simon & Garfunkel)